Skin is the window that reveals stories of one’s life. From breaking acne during teenage time to the radiant glow of pregnancy and the sunspots of aging, both your age and health are reflected by your skin. When it comes to skin care goals the word “glowing” seems to universally rank to the top of the mind. So if you are in pursuit of a healthy, radiant and glowing complexion then you are at the right place, we have 12 proven and natural ways to maintain glowing skin:
1) Sun Protection- Excessive sun exposure can cause wrinkles, age-spots and other skin problems, as well as increase the risk of skin cancer, so in order to protect your skin from the harsh sun use a safe mineral based sunscreen daily that must be SPF 30 or higher and should have active ingredients like zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. You should apply sunscreen generously and then reapply after every two hours if you are swimming or perspiring.
2) Treating Skin Gently- Oils from your skin can get removed if you take hot water showers for long so try to use warm water rather than hot. Don’t keep touching your skin every now and then so that skin stays free of dirt and germs. Also after bathing or washing gently pat or blot your skin with towel so that moisture stays on the skin.
3) Stress Management- Stress indirectly interferes with the hormone levels in our body which can make skin more sensitive and trigger acne breakouts and other skin problems so in order to get a healthy skin get a healthy state of mind and stay stress free.
4) Avoid Smoking- Smoking has many detrimental effects of our body from head to toe, but as far as skin is concerned it restricts the supply of oxygen to our skin which makes our skin dull and rough as well as increases the free radical accumulation which further increases the risk of some skin cancers.
5) Vitamin C- We all have known how much vitamin c is useful for our body, but do you know that it could do wonders for your skin, as it can fade hyperpigmentation, brighten skin tone, protect against environmental agressors and promote collagen and elastin production. In short its a key ingredient for glowing skin.
6) Proper Hydration- If you are dehydrated than automatically your skin will not glow and look dull, by drinking 8 glasses of water a day your skin will be moisturized, healthy and radiant.
7) Healthy Diet- According to a research a diet rich in fish oil or fish oil supplements and low in unhealthy fats and processed or refined carbohydrates might promote younger looking skin. Eat healthy fats like those found in nuts, flaxseeds and avocados which can replenish body’s ability to make healthy cell membranes which can protect against environmental damage by restoring the skin barrier. Other healthy foods for glowing skin include chia seeds, olive oil and whole eggs.
8) Proper Sleep- Sleep for eight hours is a standard rule of thumb but it is advised you always listen to your body. Disturbed and poor sleep routines can cause wrinkles, increased signs of aging and a compromised skin barrier function.
9) Proper Cleaning- Dirt and germs can accumulate on your skin after a long and hectic day, so bathing alone can not keep the skin free from dirt, so in order to keep skin germs free make a habit to wash your skin when waking up and before going to bed and even after sweating.
10) Face Mask- Face masks shouldn’t even be considered an indulgence and you should apply these regularly. To maximize the glow opt for hydrating face mask ingredients like hyaluronic acid, sodium hyaluronate and vitamin E.
11) Stay Active- Exercising regularly increases the blood flow throughout our body which in turns encourages the minerals, vitamins and oxygen from blood to reach the skin thereby making skin more radiant, younger and glowing.
12) Food Allergies- Excessive consumption of processed foods, dairy, sugar can cause skin inflammation leading to skin rashes and acne breakouts, so try to minimize these foods and eat diets rich in fruits, nuts and vegetables.