When people think of calories they simultaneosly link it with weight gain, to a certain extent “yes” calorie high foods tend to increase weight if consumed more than the daily requirement level, but having said that calories do provide us the energy needed for our body to function properly.
To add more to this, a healthy diet plan is very much essential for weight loss, not all people follow a healthy diet and which eventually leads to weight gain. So, its better to maintain a balance between healthy diet and exercise to encourage smooth weight loss.
There is no significant evidence that the negative or low calorie foods burn more calories than they provide, on the other hand the food that is low on calories provide fewer calories than expected because your body uses energy to digest them.
If you are seeking a way to decrease your calorie intake, then try to include these low calories foods in your diet to achieve your goal.
10 Low Calorie Foods
1) Celery – Celery tops the list of negative-calorie foods and thats not surprising at all due to enormous nutrition it boasts.
Celery has 94% water content and about 1.6 grams of insoluble fiber that move through the body undigested, also it has only 17 calories along with this all. So, this should definitely be a part of your weight loss diet.
Moreover celery provides a good amount of vitamins and minerals (especially vitamin A and vitamin C) and keeps your gut healthy as well.
2) Broccoli – Broccoli is a member of the cruciferous family of vegetables and 100 grams of it contains 2.6 grams fiber and only 32 calories, on the top of it by consuming a cup of it your daily requirement of vitamin C is fulfilled too.
What else can you expect from a single vegetable, it is not hard to believe that it is cited as a super food.
Also it contains 90% water which helps keep feel fuller.
3) Spinach – Spinach is a super-food which contains high levels of zeaxanthin and lutein which are shown to prevent macular degeneration. It is full of nutrients and minerals which are very essential for our body.
It is high in vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin K and has 91% moisture content along with only 23 calories making it weight loss friendly and a must have in your diet.
4) Asparagus – Asparagus is another green vegetable rich in nutrients which is low in calories, asparagus provides 20 calories, 2.2 grams of insoluble fiber and 93% moisture content.
Asparagus contains enormous amounts of vitamin A and some amounts of folate too. Due to the presence of Anthocyanins it keeps our blood pressure low and helps in preventing heart diseases.
Asparagus also has excellent diuretic properties and as a matter of fact it can cause a smelly urine, ha ha, but thats ok as long as it has so much to offer.
5) Carrots – Carrot is rich in vitamin A and beta-carotene making it a food beneficial for eyesight. It has 3g of fiber and 88% water content. One serving of (100 grams) has 53 calories and 4 times more the daily requirement of vitamin A.
Carrots also keep help in digestion process and offers diuretic properties as well which in itself is beneficial for weight loss.
6) Garlic – Garlic has a strong aroma, smell and taste and is used commonly in many dishes to add flavour. Garlic increases our immunity and is used as a remedy in various illnesses. It has anti-inflammatory properties too. It can fight infections and prevent high blood pressure therby reducing the risk of a heart disease.
It helps in the detoxification of blood and boosts metabolism, thereby helping in weight loss.
One clove of garlic has only 5 calories.
7) Kale – Kale is seen on the plate of most athletes and gym people, it is due to the fact of the presence of micronutrients it contains. It provides you more than the daily requirement of vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin K, 39% manganese along with other nutrients and minerals.
According to a research vitamin K intake is known to help in decreasing body fat and weight. Manganese is an important mineral that is associated with the production of thyroxine which is a thyroid hormone that is essential for the vital body functions such as appetite, metabolism and bowel movements.
100 grams of kale comes with 2g fiber, 50 calories and 85% water content.
8) Cauliflower – Another member from the family of cruciferous vegetables that too providing lots of benefits. It is also rich in vitamin A and vitamin C like the other members of cruciferous veggies and also contains significant amounts of good for body antioxidants.
100 grams of cauliflower contains 2.5 grams of fiber, 92% water and about 25 calories. Also you should consider not boiling cauliflower and takes a good percentage of vegetables antioxidants thereby reducing its weight loss benefits.
Although steaming, stir frying and microwaving are other cooking options to consider.
9) Cucumber – Cucumber is a fruit which has above 95% water content, it doesn’t provide that much fiber but it placed under the category of low calorie foods because of the very low calories it has per 100 grams(15 calories).
Cucumber contains weight loss friendly vitamin K along with vitamin C, vitamin A and minerals like copper, phosphorus, magnesium and potassium.
10) Zucchini – Zucchini can be added to almost anything i.e in snacks, main dishes and side dishes. Nowadays people are consuming noodles made by spiralizing zucchini called “zoodles” as a substitute for pasta and noodles which is full of carbs and calories.
Zucchini contains 1gram of fiber, 95% water and only about 17 calories per 100 grams of serving. Due to the versatility of zucchini it becomes a perfect choice for people who are seeking a low calorie weight loss diet food which is nutritious as well as delicious.