What actually is CBD?
CBD stands for cannabidiol which is a lesser known child of the cannabis sativa plant, but it has a more popular sibling tetrahydrocannabinol or THC which is an active ingredients used in pots to get high. Both are different from each other as THC is a psychoactive and increases anxiety whereas CBD is being used for medicinal purposes.
According to studies CBD is non-psychoactive and is known to provide relief from anxiety, depression and post-traumatic stress disorders. Its become pretty much easy to access and reap the benefits of CBD as nowadays it is being available in the form of oils, nasal sprays, lollipops and much more. CBD is now being tested on drug resistant teenagers suffering from epilepsy.
Although CBD Oil does have small amounts of tetrahydrocannabinol(THC) but that are vey low in concentration. CBD does not affect the components of human endocannabinoid system which are very important for our nervous system.
Endocannabinoids are receptors of the nervous system which are responsible for producing pain and anxiety. Though CBD Oil might boost the levels of naturally occurring endocannabinoids. Certain studies indicate that the CBD Oil increases appetite and also has the ability to treat certain types of seizures.
Amazing Benefits of CBD
1) Pain Management – CBD is very efficient in reducing pain. Endocannabinoid system(ECS) is an important system in human beings which is responsible for sleep, appetite, immune system and pain.
Pain is felt inside your body when endocannabinoids which are neurotransmitters produced by the body bind to the cannabinoid receptors in the nervous system. According to studies CBDs can help in reducing chronic pains by impacting the receptor activity which decreases inflammation.
Research is being done to find out the extent to which CBD oil can help in conditions such as multiple sclerosis and arthritis.
2) Anxiety and Depression – Usually pharmaceutical drugs are used to treat symptoms related to anxiety and depression, which are habit forming and cause side effects like drowsiness, agitation, insomnia, sexual dysfunction and headache.
CBD has shown promise as a treatment for both depression and anxiety, leading many who live with these disorders to become interested in this natural approach.
Also several studies done on animals have shown antidepressant effects on animals.
3) Neuroprotective Properties – CBD is used in treating neurological disorders like epilepsy and multiple sclerosis. Muscle spasticity is a common symptom in people with multiple sclerosis, Sativa which is an oral spray consisting of combination of CBD and THC is very useful in this case.
Several studies have shown that the treatment with CBD improved sleep quality and in people having Parkinson’s disease.
A study done on mice genetically disposed alzheimer’s disease and also prevented cognitive decline.
4) Heart Health And Blood Pressure – High blood pressure increases the risks of heart diseases and stroke. CBD reduces systolic blood pressure and also has stress and anxiety reducing properties.
CBD oil has lots of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties which help in reducing blood pressure thus keeping the heart related illnesses at bay. CBD has shown to reduce oxidative stress and prevent heart damage in diabetic mice with heart disease.
5) Relief from Cancer related Symptoms – Pain, nausea and vomiting are some of the common symptoms of cancer related treatment. Those who received treatment with extracts containing both THC and CBD observed significant reduction in pain in comparison to those who received only THC extracts.
In a recent study, patients who were undergoing chemotherapy used CBD oil and found it helped to reduce the side effects of chemo, particularly feelings of nausea.
You can checkout various CBD products from here.