What is MCT Oil?
You might have heard about coconut oil, mustard oil, sunflower oil but not of MCT Oil. So, basically MCT Oil is made up of medium chain triglycerides which is lower than most of the fats present in the food we eat. These medium chain triglycerides are easier to digest and provides instant energy after consumption.
You will feel more energised and fuller along with storing less fat if you consume MCT Oil instead of coconut oil. MCT Oil is extracted from coconut and palm kernel oil. MCT Oil is often used by people looking out to lose weight and boost energy levels during high intensity endurance workouts.
It has also been claimed that MCT Oil can improve the ability to think as well as reduce various forms of dementia. MCT Oils are processed by the body in the same way as other oils, they go straight to the liver from the gut, from there they are converted into ketones which can be used by the brain instead of sugar or glucose.
MCT Oil is synthesized on the principle of ketogenic diet in which the the calories are used instantly and are not stored as fats which is effectively used by people to lose weight.
Amazing Benefits of MCT Oil
1) Weight Loss – According to a study the MCT Oil increases the release of hormones which promote the feeling of fullness in our body. It releases the hormones peptide YY and leptin which promote the feeling of fullness.
Consuming 2 teaspoons of MCT Oil as a part of breakfast can contribute to eating less food for lunch due to which limits the amount of calories consumed thus contributing to weight loss.
MCT Oil improves the encourages the growth of good bacteria and supports the gut lining which is also important in weight loss.
2) Reduction in Lactate Buildup in Athletes – During heavy exercises althletes often face the problems of rising lactate levels during the exercise which impacts the performance negatively.
Interestingly, athletes who took 6 grams or about 1.5 teaspoons of MCT with food before exercise had lower levels of lactate and felt better.
Also MCT results in better fat burning during the exercise because it promotes the usage of fats instead of carbs for energy. Though MCT Oil benefits in weight loss during the exercise but its not strictly proven whether it makes you exercise better or not.
But, atleast consumption of MCT Oil before exercise does not impacts the exercising performance negatively for sure, which is encouraging.
3) Provides Energy to the Brain – Since MCT are more easily absorbed by the body because of the way its synthesized in our body so it gets stored into our cells without being broken and therefore provides instant energy. MCT gets converted into ketones by the liver which are highly useful source of energy for the brain cells.
4) Fights Yeast and Bacterial Growth – In hospitals MCTs have reduced fungus infections by upto 50%.
MCTs contain caprylic, capric and lauric acid which reduce the yeast and fungal infections, according to tests done in a test tube MCT Oils reduced the growth of a disease causing bacteria named Clostridium Difficile.
5) May Reduce Heart Disease and Cholesterol related issues – MCT can reduce heart disease in many ways, i.e it can reduce LDL or bad cholesterol along with encouraging weight loss.
According to a 2019 study, it decreased insulin sensitivity in healthy people which decreases the risk of heart disease. Moreover MCT can increase the production of HDL or good cholesterol and reduce the C-reactive protein (CRP) which causes inflammation in the body which in turn increases the risk of heart disease.
6) May help reduce cravings and Support Diabetes Management – Medium chain fatty acids are much lower in calories than long chain fatty acids and assimilate in the body much faster, MCTs have shown to reduce fat fat storage and encourage fat burning.
Also people with type-2 diabetes can well tolerate the MCT Oil supplements and MCT may increase pancreatic beta cell function and insulin sensitivity.
How to include MCT in your Diets?
1) Coffee and other Warm Drinks – You can take MCT by adding MCT supplements in any warm drink or coffee in morning.
2) In Smoothies – To get a boost in healthy fats along with numerous benefits you can add a teaspoon or two of MCT Oil to the glass of your favorite smoothie drink.
3) Shakes – Don’t worry if you are not able to consume the MCT during the morning, you can get the boost in energy pre-workout or support the recovery process by simply taking a teaspoon of MCT Oil. This will increase your energy during high energy workouts.